Tuesday, June 05, 2007

a family-friendly game

My baby girl has developed a new game, the rules of which I'm just beginning to understand. It's something we play when I feed her solids. Her mom plays too, but she gets more practice than I do and is much better.

OBJECT
The object of the game is to shovel tiny spoonfuls of pureed food into Emma's mouth as quickly and methodically as possible.

Once you get the right rhythm down, it goes pretty smoothly--Get the food, wipe the spoon, move to mouth, feed. Get the food, wipe the spoon, move to mouth, feed. It helps to repeat this mantra while acting it out.

RULES
If you cannot keep this pace, or if the food is too coarse, or there's too much carrot and not enough apple sauce or if Emma gets distracted by the window then the second round of the game starts--defence.

For every cycle that is off, she sticks two fingers from her right hand into her mouth. When this occurs, the other player is blocked from completing the cycle and must return to the start position of 'get the food.'

OPTIONAL VARIANT
The block may be followed by a typically short, but sometimes lengthy wail directly preceding the 'feed' part of the cycle.

END
The game ends when:
(a) all food has moved from the bowl into the baby's mouth, onto her bib/clothing/face, or onto the floor.
(b) the baby's arm is reflexively drawn into her mouth repeatedly until feeding is no longer possible and fingers are only partially removed for crying.

WARNING
Should scenario (b) occur, please consult the nearest Mother, as she is better equipped to restart and successfully complete the game.

4 comments:

Scott Brown said...

I love it!!! I'm impressed with "a family-friendly game" however, I think I will wait to start playing it with Lily. The picture is super cute and I'm excited for future posts!!!
Ashley

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

That is the cutest picture in the world. Your daughter is ridiculously cute.

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

She looks so cute in the pic! I don't know how friendly that game is, believe me, I've been there. I love to hear your experiences as a dad.

Ryan said...

I was enjoying the rules so much and then that picture came up! Oh man she is soooo darling!!! You are such a fun dad!!!